"Beard" = 'cover story' without gay/straight context

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Tue Jan 4 17:34:44 UTC 2005

If I recall correctly, the word was used in a non(gay/straight) context in
an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" some years back; I'm away from home
and can't check at the moment, but it was a Halloween episode, either season
two (which would make it 1997) or season four (1999). In the scene, Buffy's
mother commented that her (Buffy's) father used to love taking her
trick-or-treating; Buffy said something to the effect that he loved the
candy, and she was just the beard. (I'll be home in a couple of days; I'll
be able to give more precise information then.)

Jim Parish