Lansing State Journal claims

Wed Jan 5 16:31:14 UTC 2005

Somebody who was in the field at the time might have more information
about whether the idea was copied (or if it matters or even if anyone
gives a hoot), but the banished words lists does date to around 1975 or
so, as an article from 1980 calls that year's list the 6th annual,
which makes this year their 31st annual, if I calculate correctly.  The
first ADS WOTY list is for 1990, which makes this year its 15th annual.

Grant Barrett