horse's neck, gin fizz, hoboland, grafter

Wed Jan 5 19:10:59 UTC 2005

 horse's neck (OED: "horse's neck slang (orig. U.S.), a beverage of ginger
ale flavoured with lemon-peel, with or without the addition of whisky,
brandy, or gin; horse's tail"; 1903)
"Down to the Finals," Chicago Daily Tribune; Jul 7, 1900; pg. 6/5
"The weather man and the dispenser of "high balls," "horses necks," and "gin
fizzes" have a perfect understanding."

Gin fizz (OED has 1891, I think Barry has taken it back to 1880's)
"A Bar Maid's Bonanza." The Atlanta Constitution; Nov 19, 1886; pg. 4/2
"She dispensed gin fizzes and killing glances with a fascinating abandon
that knocked her admirers silly, if we may be allowed to dropinto the
expressive slang of the period."

"HUTCHINSON OUTPITCHES CLARKSON." Chicago Daily Tribune; Jul 5, 1890; pg.
6/3
"He could not celebrate in the orthodox fashion, as he is too old for
firecrackers and bombs, and cocktails and gin fizz are tabooed by watchful
managers of ball clubs."

hoboland (not in OED)
FUND RAISED BY YEGGMEN.
Los Angeles Times; Apr 26, 1903; pg. C1/3
"Capt. Bradish said it was a common thing in hoboland."

grafter (OED 3rd entry, sense 1, 1899)
"A PICKPOCKET'S DEVICE." Los Angeles Times; Mar 26, 1895; pg. 12/2
"With the aid of this instrument, the "grafter" can reach into a man's
pocket and abstact his purse a great deal more deftly than with his naked
digits."