''The Language of Flowers"

Tom Dalzell slangman at PACBELL.NET
Sun Jan 9 15:54:16 UTC 2005

Without knowing the context, is it possible that Scully was simply
referring to the Victorian "language of flowers," in which each flower
represented a certain sentiment or emotion?  There were any number of
books and postcards in the era depicting the "language."  An article
from the Collier's Cyclopedia of Commerial and Social Information (1882)
on the language of flowers is reproduced at
http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/u/hilda/flang.html.

Tom Dalzell