moustache--(Why a moustache was likened to a baseball team)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Jan 9 18:09:59 UTC 2005

 On Dec. 13, 2004 Bill Mullins sent an ads-l message wondering how "miniature baseball nines" could mean "moustache" in a 1929 high-school yearbook. [See item below my signoff.]

  It just occurred to me that the answer is obvious:
        The writer twice refers to the moustache making "the hit" with the girls. Baseball teams make hits. Ergo,...

     Q.E.D., case closed. It's Miller time.

Gerald Cohen

Original message, Dec. 13, 2004 from Bill Mullins:
>From _The Tiger Claw_, yearbook of the class of 1929, The
 University High School, Columbia MO, p. 73

>From a description of attending a dance:

"The moustache was what made the hit with the girls.  Now, if you want to be mean, you can ask if it got in the way while it was making the hit, but that wasn't what I meant.  I always have wondered why men wore those miniature baseball nines on their upper lips.  But when I saw how the girls liked to "fix" mine, I understood."

Miniature baseball nines??? What is the allusion?

                         # # #