gunsel

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 10 23:32:25 UTC 2005

The choice of the names "Greene" and "Gunsel" may be intentional, since both carried connotations of naivete or foolishness.   On a mere hunch, I checked the Net for evidence of a vaudeville tean named "Gunsel and Greene" but found nothing.

JL

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Arnold M. Zwicky"
Subject: Re: gunsel

On Jan 10, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Bill Mullins wrote:

> As far as "The Maltese Falcon" goes, I believe you are right. But Cook
> seems to be the stereotype of the second OED defintion, as well -- a
> cheap hood whose job it is to shoot, or get shot. Check out his
> listings in the IMDB.

as i understand the situation, the writers wanted to get the 'catamite'
attribution across, but were having trouble finding an expression they
could get past the studio. then the yiddishly knowledgable among them
realized that "gunsel" might work, because most viewers would connect
it to "gun", the character Wilmer being a gun-toting hoodlum. this
seems to have succeeded, and produced a 'gunslinger' reading for
"gunsel".

so, not euphemism (or euphuism, for that matter), but a kind of
deliberate invitation to misunderstanding, conveying one apparent
meaning to most people while getting another meaning across to the
insiders.

arnold