POC: a cop term?

Tue Jan 11 16:18:40 UTC 2005

This interesting guestbook was posted to BoingBoing.net yesterday:

http://www.webgenie.com/Software/Guestar/Evaluation/Guestbooks/
anne901753785.html

It seems to be in-house messages passed between dispatchers at an an
escort service, which clearly seems to be a a prostitution ring. It
also seems to be authentic.

Only one interesting lexical item jumped out: POC.

"Pissed off customer" was my first guess, but given the messages, it
seems to be an acronym for some sort of undercover cop. Any ideas what
it might mean? Here are the relevant parts:

"There was a blacklist of about a combination of 20 either dangerous
guys or POCS that was on the wall at the old office."

"Everyone - important - it's POC night - thursdays are BAD nights. Be
very, very careful. Verify EVERYONE, double check - talk to the guys on
the phone for a minute and try to get a feeling about them before
sending someone. Pay special attention to Coral Springs hotels,
LaQuinta, etc. Have the girls check ROUND-TRIP plane tickets AND
licences, if a guy is from around here and is at a hotel, that should
raise a red flag - why is he not at his residence?? Also, there should
be suitcases around and stuff in the room and in the bathroom. Less
expensive hotels are used for POCS, usually not expensive hotels. BE
CAREFUL!!! DO NOT SEND ANYONE IF YOU HAVE 1 TINK INKLING OF SOMETHING
FISHY. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY."

"Be careful of a DAVID HARTSHORN possible POC. He has a British accent
and I verified him at the hotel but when Sasha got there she suspected
he that he was POC (no toiletries, luggage, didn't initiate and finally
arguing about the Intent form.) He's very charming on the phone."

"Also, beware of JOHN GRAGG.. we think he's a POC and when I called to
verify his 2hr. appt. w/Meisha tonight he had checked out."

"The call for Mackenzie at the La Quinta in Coral Springs is bad news.
I did not speak to the guy, but it is Thursday night - POC night and
that hotel is one of the most dangerous and the POCS have been trying
to get Mackenzie for the longest time, so I'm not comfortable sending
anyone there, especially tonight, but he thinks she is showing up."

"Sara, that guy that might be a POC called again....Bill Caccia....I
told him I was sending over Vicki and Mackenzie again but, of course, I
won't send them."

"DO NOT BOOK A BILL CIACCIA 2 GIRL CALL MIGHT BE POC."

"Sara got a possible 'poc' call, so be on the lookout."

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org