Exergaming; Rolodex Ranger; Smash & Grab

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 11 22:47:38 UTC 2005

WOTY: I just read Jesse Sheidlower's account in SLATE. "Tsunami" didn't get
a single vote for WOTY? No special mention? Would it have made a difference if
 500,000 people died? One million people? Second place was "wardrobe
malfunction"?
Here are a few terms in today's newspapers. I've heard them before, but I
don't know if we recorded them.
ROLODEX RANGER
METRO (NY)
pg. 11, col. 1
MY VIEW by Dave Levy
_Hi Yo, politics lovers--
_it's a Rolodex Ranger_
(...)
When asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" recently to defend the delayed  response
for the tsunami disaster in SOutheast Asia, Secretary of State Colin  Powell
said that you can always find a "Rolodex Ranger"--someone in a card file
guaranteed to back up any point of view--to criticize a government action. Most
Americans would not dispute Powell; America's response, in my opinion, is
generally compassionate and as punctual as possible. But when New York Times
columnist William Safire remarked later in the program that he liked this new
term, Rolodex Ranger, it was clear to me that we are gearing up for another
round of the Republicans' favorite method of attack--the name game.
METRO (NY)
pg. 19, col. 1
_Entrepreneurs optimistic on "exergaming"_
(...)
Company executives insist that "exergaming" or "exertainment"--the marriage
of physical exercise and video gaming--is becoming a hot new niche, and the
most  bullish aficionados say it might even help reduce the nation's obesity
epidemic.
NEW YORK POST
pg. 19, col. 5:
_JEWEL_
_HEIST_
_BUSTS_
_Smash & Grabsky_

(The Russian mob has a member named Oleg Grabsky! - ed.)
SMASH AND GRAB--59,200 Google hits
SLASH AND GRAB--1.150 Google hits