Carnegie Deli book (2005) and deli slang

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 13 00:48:42 UTC 2005

HOW TO FEED FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE:
THE CARNEGIE DELI
A GIANT SANDWICH, A LITTLE DELI, A HUGE SUCCESS
by Milton Parker (Owner of the Carnegie Deli)
and Allyn Freeman
171 pages, $21.95
Hoboken, NJ: John WIley & Sons 2005

10,000 years. So I said to my co-workers, to be as good as Carlos Beltran is,
I'd have to do parking tickets every single day until the time of Jesus. And
then I'd have to work another 8,000 years!

I was so depressed I bought this ridiculous book, which should be given out
for free. It's about as deep as HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU. Nevertheless,
there are a few items of interest.

Pg. 59: DELI SLANG
Pistol   Pastrami
Betty Grable...Cheesecake
Dressed   Russian dressing, coleslaw
Jack   Grilled American cheese, tomato
Wreck 'em   Scrambled eggs
One with   Hot dog with sauerkraut
Brown cow   Chocolate milk
Dry   No butter on toast
Whiskey   Rye bread
Full house   Grilled cheese with bacon
CB   Corned beef
Grade A   Milk
Draw one   Coffee
Combo   Swiss cheese added to any sandwich
Dutch   American cheese added to any sandwich
Schmear   Cream cheese
Coney   Hot dog
 Down   Toast
Seaboard   A takeout order
One off   Plain hot dog

Pg. 114:
Pastrami has its own ordering nickname, "a pistol." At the Carnegie Deli, you
will hear the servers calling out, "A pistol on whiskey down," (rye bread
toasted) or "A pistol dressed" (Russian dressing and coleslaw on the bread).

The reason is not because pastrami is the king of sandwiches and merits its
own special name. You be the counterman for a moment. What would you make if
you heard a server shout, "Ordering a ..._ami_ on rye to go." Did you answer,
"pastrami"? Or on (Pg. 115--ed.) second thought, do you think it was "salami"?
When you hear the words pistol or salami, there's never any confusion.