antedating of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" 1905

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Jan 14 05:58:41 UTC 2005

Barry took it back to 1921 in the NY Times early last year.

I searched the archive, but don't believe anyone got farther than that.

Using Proquest Chicago Tribune, April 16, 1905, p. D7

>>"At one time we lived under a couple for months.  The man came home 'loaded' half the time, and Mark Twain's story about waiting to hear the other shoe drop was borne in upon me.  He always knocked over a chair while preparing for bed, and I have waited in an agony of suspense for half an hour, listening to him prowling around in the dark looking for his nightshirt, for him to knock over that chair, and when it finally crashed down upon the floor I went to sleep happy.<<

So, perhaps Twain first used this.  Any takers?  Ben?

Sam Clements