Query: "file 13" (throw sth. away)

Fri Jan 14 18:08:13 UTC 2005

Dave Hause <dwhause at JOBE.NET> says:

I'm reasonably certain that I know it as pre-1980.
 <<<<<
Likewise, as a nominal referring to the trash basket. New York City area.
Maybe even pre-1970.

I always associated it with 13= 'unlucky', rather than specifically with the
missing number of the floor.

Semi-apropos, is anyone else familiar with "A Tale of the 13th Floor" by
Ogden Nash? Untypically for him, it is in strict rhyme and meter, what I
later learned is the Reading Gaol stanza.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]