"Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 15 15:55:27 UTC 2005

Wish I could remember my source, Wilson - maybe it WAS "The Lieutenant," though I usually watched something else in that time slot - can't remember what, though.

Jon

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?

On Jan 14, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: "Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?
> --------
>
> Naturally, I care. Presumably before standardization, the call could
> be uttered as "Hup! Toop! Treep! Haw!" Or so I once saw it in a
> fifties novel.
>
> "Your left! ...Left!...Your left, right, left!" could be
> "Yodelep!...Lep!...Yodelep, rye lep!"
>
> Was phonological change in Middle English ever so expressive as this?
>
> JL
>
> || "Ev'ry time I stand retreat, / Jody gets a piece of meat." ||

Jon, your example cadence sounds like one from the marines, where the
sergeants seem to pride themselves in making the cadence count as
unusual as their artistry in dismounted drill - marching practice -
will permit. Back in the day, there was a TV show called "The
Lieutenant," about life in the pre-Vietnam Corps, which opened with the
sound of sergeants calling cadence. It sounded very much like your
horrible example.

As coincidence would have it, at that time, I was dating a former woman
marine. (It's not funny, dammit! She was my best buddy's girlfriend's
best friend. You know the drill.) She often commented that she enjoyed
that show because she loved to hear the various countings of cadence
that separated the show from the commercials. It took her back to the
good old days at Camp Pendleton.

Our packs are heavy / Our belts are tight / Our scrotes are swingin'
from / LEFT to RIGHT

-Wilson