Too soon oldt und too late schmardt (1952)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 17 09:21:11 UTC 2005

TOO SOON OLD, TOO LATE SMART

Over at Wilton "Word Origins"
(_http://pub122.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm1_ (http://pub122.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm1) ),  someone asked about
this. Is it old? Is it Swedish?
It appears to be modern mock German.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_A  LINE O' TYPE OR TWO:; POPPIES FOR SOLDIERS _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=500480052&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&
VName=HNP&TS=1105949754&clientId=65882)
Chicago  Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 22, 1952. p. 16 (1
page)  :
Vy iss it dot we are too soon oldt und too late schmardt?
Bill of Zurich Heights
_have  you heard?; Reading _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=498560862&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1105949
447&clientId=65882)
ELIZABETH RANNELLS. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 14,
 1952. p. F2 (1 page) :
_So Right_
Sign in bar: Ve get too soon old und too late schmart.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Independent Record _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=qfOSkbCfQu2KID/6NLMW2rFG07Of0fw50DtPMpH1n0HHiBf35r4+zA==)  Thursday, July 17,
1952 _Helena,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:helena+too+late+schmart+AND)  _Montana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:montana+too+late+schmart+AND)      ...damd dey TOO soon  gel oldt
and TOO LATE SCHMART. Dey no stopt bark so  much.....
     _Bedford Gazette _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Rvj45z7SpqiKID/6NLMW2l4qRlnRyCdXos9q5Hm/cYOd5XSGz6G6XQ==)  Tuesday, September 16,
1952 _Bedford,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:bedford+too+soon+oldt+AND)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+too+soon+oldt+AND)      ...on the side of his
desk  which Get TOO SOON OLDT Undt TOO Late  Olniously. the.....is elected he
is likely to looJc to TOO. for at  least advice on the Interior..
     _Vidette Messenger _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=KVP2nb8FYnqKID/6NLMW2lqHByk0SOnh2mQjJmV3J2+AyUg438K2n0IF+CsZYmrz)  Tuesday,
October 28, 1952 _Valparaiso,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:valparaiso+too+soon+oldt+AND)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:indiana+too+soon+oldt+AND)
...said in regard to our Gedt  TOO SOON OLDT Und TOO late TAX IS
BAROMETER.....higher education at j Valparaiso was TOO demanding  and this weary
exhausted..
     _Lemars Globe Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=0Hv62RLHvjKKID/6NLMW2j8w7oqfMOLPdboUuO68vluUNB3I6gXroA==)  Thursday, October 22,
1953 _Le Mars,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:le_mars+too+soon+oldt+AND)  _Iowa_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:iowa+too+soon+oldt+AND)      ...as the Old Dutchman  said: "Ve get
TOO SOON OLDT. und TOO  late schmardt." FOR..

     _Joplin Globe _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=wSCs6S0EhDCKID/6NLMW2us9CmA0QzheSxaN9J6Srqid5XSGz6G6XQ==)  Sunday, April 11, 1954
_Joplin,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:joplin+too+soon+old+AND)  _Missouri_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:missouri+too+soon+old+AND)      ...with the OLD German  TOO SOON OLD TOO
late through March more Fords  were.....way patrol safety division said it was
TOO early to  definitely credit the..

     _Mountain Democrat _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=n9tPhCVbEnaKID/6NLMW2s9Nds2WYffd55p0rxJSumSd5XSGz6G6XQ==)  Thursday, July 15,
1954 _Placerville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:placerville+too+soon+old+AND)  _California_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:california+too+soon+old+AND)      ...999 Insurance. Phone
 135-J-l GET TOO SOON OLD and TOO LATE  SCHMARTf' Buy your.....The total prce
is only ---------o It's TOO  hot todcjy to write a have oil types..
     _Mansfield News Journal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=/TuInQ3tu5uKID/6NLMW2iuIzOhaxBk9wNvuDXiLglz87fxoN0o0p0IF+CsZYmrz)
Saturday, August 07, 1954 _Mansfield,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:mansfield+too+late+schmart+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+too+late+schmart+AND)      ...and Public
Sale TOO  Soon Oldt Und TOO LATE SCHMART if vou lm.pre.st.cd in  a ta..
...     _Mansfield News Journal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=/TuInQ3tu5uKID/6NLMW2iuIzOhaxBk947fws1mWRqmXpoDC2uAKs0IF+CsZYmrz)
Friday, August 06, 1954 _Mansfield,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:mansfield+too+late+schmart+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+too+late+schmart+AND)      ...VeGet TOO
Soon Oldt  Und TOO LATE SCHMART But if you are  interested.....level lot. A
truly good buv at si 6. TOO. CALL  LEONARD 8127-9 A. B. Reese, 42..
     _Great Bend Daily Tribune _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ONKPmHWqWNiKID/6NLMW2nGh3t6QIOeDi5tlgjaSsRzHA3kqa20dxkIF+CsZYmrz)
Sunday, October 10, 1954 _Great Bend,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:great_bend+too+late+smart+AND)  _Kansas_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:kansas+too+late+smart+AND)      ...said, 'We
are TOO  soon oldt und TOO LATE SMART." A Pirate teammate,  asked.....a hole.
Once in the open he was TOO fast to be run down.  Hutch Salt..

OT. MISC.

THE ORIGIN OF CHESS--
I spent the day Sunday at the Asia Society. I was impressed by the Asia  food
glossary on its web site, and I checked out the bookstore. This was the  last
day of its exhibit, "Asia Games: The Art of Contest."
The docent told us that chess comes from India. The companion book, pg.  137:
"A majority of chess historians agree that the game originated in northern
India (as _chaturanga_, in Sanskrit) sometime before 600, spread to Iran
(Persian _chatrang_) and thence to Mesopotamia (Arabic _shatranj_), and reached
Europe about the year 1000."
The book and exhibit have been sponsored by the National Endowment for the
Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. My scholarship is sponsored
 by...parking tickets.
Actually, the majority of scholars agree that chess comes from CHINA. The
India theory was set into stone by H. J. R. Murray, brother of the OED's Murray.
 But that was 100 years ago!
The exhibit noted that no early chess pieces have been found in India.  D'OH!
How is scholarship--government-paid scholarship--so freaking awful? Do
theses people take clues from the government-paid scholars at the Chicago Public
Library?
THE ORIGIN OF LANGUAGE--
_http://phrontistery.info/index.html_ (http://phrontistery.info/index.html)
The Word Origins site also mentions the above site, called "THE
PHRONTISTERY: ENGLISH WORD LISTS & LANGUAGE RESOURCES."
Most of the site is just a ridiculous jumble of words, presenting without
dates, context, or etymology.
The site's author had a 2003 doctoral dissertation at McGill titled THE
COMPARATIVE HISTORY OF NUMERICAL NOTATION. (He's turning that into a book.) An
extensive Numerical Notation Bibliography follows. He cites several books and
papers by Denise Schmandt-Besserat. (On September 10, 2001, I got an Iranian
visa to visit ancient Persia on one of her tours, only to cancel that on
September 11th.)
In 1988, I moved to New York City and took over my sister's co-op. And I  got
a parking ticket and was found guilty for a sign that wasn't there. And I
picked up this book by John F. Michell, THE DIMENSIONS OF PARADISE: THE
PROPORTIONS AND SYMBOLIC NUMBERS OF ANCIENT COSMOLOGY (London: Thames and  Hudson,
1988). In this web guy's extensive bibliography, he never cites this  very
influential and readable Michell book. And I watched this PBS show with  Bill
Moyers, and it was an interview with Joseph Campbell, and he said to  "follow your
bliss."
And the first thing I realized was that the Greek number-name of the sun,
_helios_, was a representation of Pi. And I turned to THE BOOK OF PI, and this
information wasn't there. And then I solved the naming of the Parthenon and
Saul to Paul, and no one knew those things, either.
And then, while in the library, I met someone named Gerald Cohen, and he  was
working on "the Big Apple," and I thought I solve that right away, and
people would believe that, and the mayor would surely thank me and help find
living witnesses, and then I'd move on...