Tar-Zhay; Jean-Claude Penne; Wal-Fart; Albertscums; Needless Markup; Taco Hell

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 19 00:06:08 UTC 2005

I first heard "Tarzhay" in the early '90s, though I now see I was behind the curve.  The first of these corporate nicknames to reach my notice were "Mickey D's" (now trademarked, I believe) and "HoJo's" - both around 1983-84.  Since then "Taco Hell" and "Pizza Slut" have come along.

"Burger Thing" never got into HDAS, but I've used it. My wife says "Food Hyena."  There's also "Office Creepo," formerly "Office Clown"   (i.e., "Depot" & "Town").

JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: Tar-Zhay; Jean-Claude Penne; Wal-Fart; Albertscums; Needless
Markup; Taco Hell

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, JP Villanueva wrote:

#We have a rhyming phenomenon with fast food and pizza restaurants:
#Jack in the Box = jack in the crack
#Pizza Time = pizza crime
#Pizza Answer = pizza cancer
#Pizza Hut = pizza slut
#Taco Bell = toxic hell

I know "Taco *H*ell", not the others. We lived two doors down from one of
these our first year in Berkeley, and the smell made me sick.

mark by hand