"You can't be serious" (June 22, 1981)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 19 04:44:00 UTC 2005

It's "You can't be serious," not "You cannot be serious." You cannot always
get what you want.
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS
by John McEnroe with James Kaplan
New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons
2002
Pg. 132:
Although this was to become one of my most famous matches, I'm positive
almost nobody remembers who I played, and where I played it: Tom Gullikson,  first
round, Wimbledon, 1981.
Pg. 133:
I threw my _new_ racket and gave a scream that came straight from
Queens--but that traveled very far in the years since.
""Man, you cannot be serious!"
(...)
"You guys are the absolute pits of the world you know that?" I screamed.
Another colorful bit of Queens-ese.
22 June 1981, New York Post, pg. 53, col. 3:
"Why can't I argue--is it against the law to argue?" McEnroe snapped.
In the 12th game he hammered his racquet on the turf and shouted at James
after a sideline placement was called out. The crowd, which had been solidly on
McEnroe's side, then began a slow handclap as a sign of disapproval, and
resumed  it in the tie-breaker when he argued over a service fault.
Before the seventh game of the second set, while changing ends, McEnroe
banged his chair with his racquet.
...'
This brought a rebuke from James, who said: "You are misusing your racquet,
Mr. McEnroe."
Two games later another call went against McEnroe.
"You can't be serious," McEnroe shrieked at the umpire. "You are an
incompetent fool, an offense against the world."
23 June 1981, New York Daily News, pg. 52, col. 3:
Two game later another call went against McEnroe. "You can't be serious,"
McEnroe shrieked at the umpires. "You are an incompetent fool, an offense
against the world."