The name "Womack"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Jan 19 04:53:31 UTC 2005

I have friends, both black and white and from both Texas and Oklahoma,
with this surname. They all agree that this name is pronounced approx.
[w^m at k]. However, everybody that I know or have heard of with this name
who is *not* from either TX or OK - regardless  of  race, creed, color,
country of origin, or sexual orientation - pronounces the name as
approx. [womaek]. Is this another coincidence, like "irregardless"? Or
are Texas and Oklahoma truly out of step with the rest of the country?

-Wilson