"Fish without bicycle"(1973); Gandhi's "eye for eye"(1982); Eyes/England(1943)

Thu Jan 20 21:17:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:57:15 -0600, Mullins, Bill
<Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

>> King was a student of Gandhi, of course (this is mentioned in
>> the 1958 review), but I don't know if he attributed the quote to him.
>
>King, from his days as a grad student onward, had a problem with proper
>attribution:
>
>http://chem-gharbison.unl.edu/mlk/plagiarism.html

The article that I cited upthread ("Composing Martin Luther King, Jr." by
Keith D. Miller, _PMLA_ Vol. 105, No. 1 (Jan. 1990), pp. 70-82), gives
many examples of King's, uh, liberal attribution policy.  The "eye for an
eye" quote, as I mentioned, was borrowed from Harris Wofford (who may have
heard it attributed to Gandhi).

The quote appeared (with other passages lifted from Wofford's 1957 lecture
"Non-violence and the Law") in King's _Stride toward Freedom_, published