copacetic?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 20 23:46:11 UTC 2005

My friend is now a high-school English teacher and she's always said "much."  It may be that "Armuchee" (near Rome, Ga.) originally had a vowel like that in "book" and "look"; maybe that was somehow conducive to an intrusive "r."

Dunno, as usual.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: copacetic?

On Jan 20, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: copacetic?
> --------
>
> I have friend from Armuchee, Ga., who observes that it is univerally
> pronounced "ArMURchee" by the locals.
>
> JL

Damn! I have a phonological analysis of this phenomenon that fails,
unless the locals also replace spelled -rC with pronounced -IC in at
least some cases. My mother never says "murch." Rather, she says
[m^IC]. Well, even if my analysis fails, it's never gotten beyond the
thought-experiment stage, in any case. I haven't written a single word.

-Wilson