Query: women > wimming

Rachel Shuttlesworth rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU
Fri Jan 21 17:57:00 UTC 2005

My great-grandparents (rural Alabamians, born before 1920) said
"chicking" instead of "chicken" whenever the preacher came to eat. A
case of the same hypercorrection, I would think.
Rachel

--

Rachel E. Shuttlesworth
CLIR Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Alabama Libraries
Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0266
Office: 205.348.4655/ Fax:205.348.8833
rachel.e.shuttlesworth at ua.edu