Gandhi's "eye for eye"(1982)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 21 21:31:01 UTC 2005

In a message dated   Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:31:13 EST,  Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>  "AN EYE FOR AN EYE MAKES THE WHOLE WORLD BLIND"
>  Did Gandhi really say this? The movie Gandhi did.

Something similar appears in "Fiddler on the Roof" (1964).  I don't have a
script available, but from memory: someone says something about an eye for an
eye and a tooth for a tooth and someone else (probably Tevye) responds that the
whole world will be blind and toothless.

If someone is interested in pursuing this, the place to check is Shalom
Aleichem's book "Tevye the Dairyman" (on which "Fiddler on the Roof" was based).

     - Jim Landau