Tartufo (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 22 10:37:40 UTC 2005

TARTUFO
This week, I continued the ethnic restaurants of Ninth Avenue chowdown with
Basilica, 676 Ninth Avenue between 46th and 47th Streets, an OK,
reasonably-priced Italian restaurant. For dessert, there was "tiramisu" and  "tartuffo."
While dictionaries rushed to include "tiramisu," "tartufo" is not in my
Merriam-Webster. A few weeks ago, I heard "tartufo" lavishly explained to
tourists at DiTamasso on Eight Avenue and West  56th.
William Grimes's EATING YOUR WORDS, pg. 214, explains: "an Italian dessert,
containing chocolate, of a creamy mousselike consistency. --ORIGIN Italian,
literally 'truffle.'"
"Tartufo," in this dessert sense, is not in the OED. You'd never know about
the dessert's history at the Tre Scalini restaurant at the Piazza Navona in
Rome. You could consult my online food dictionary, but...I'm busy doing parking
 tickets.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_Display  Ad 168 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=170398692&SrchMode=1&sid=7&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110638
5458&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current  file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 20, 1955. p. M8 (1
page)
ROMAN FEVER...Once you've had it, you never really recover. And spring is
the very worst time. YOU DREAM of _fragole_, the tiny woodland strawberries, and
 baby _piselli_, of fat creamy _fettuccine carciofi alla romano_ and the
wines of  the Castelli Romani and Valadiev's on the Pincio (Where Nathaniel
Hawthorne used  to go) and of the Tartufo at the Tre Scalini in the Piazzo Navona,
the most  beautiful square in _tutto il mondo_.

_An  Effortless Way to Give a Greek Wedding Feast or an Italian Picnic_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?i
ndex=0&did=79674779&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106382777&clientId=65882)
By JEAN HEWITT. New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 3,
1971. p. 31 (1 page)
There's Galliano in the rich chocolate tartufo dessert for 75 cents and rum
in the zuppa Inglese for 75 cents a slice.
_Respite  in San Gimignano; Quick Orientation Courtly Stylists A Respite in
San Gimignano,  a Tuscan Town of Beautiful Towers _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=110864541&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309
&VName=HNP&TS=1106382777&clientId=65882)
By SARAH  FERRELL. New York Times (1857-Current file). New  York, N.Y.: Jun
11, 1978. p. XX1 (2 pages)
Pg. 21:
Unable, for want of a kitchen, to justify the real thing, I order a
"tartufo" for dessert, a thick disk of chocolate ice cream topped with a
chocolate-coated cherry, the whole dipped in yet more chocolate. It is either  utterly
delicious or wretchedly excessive; I am unable to make up my mind.
_Restaurants;  Flavors from a Roman piazza. Tre Scalini _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=111008773&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD
&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106383257&clientId=65882)
Mimi  Sheraton. New York Times (1857-Current file). New  York, N.Y.: Feb 23,
1979. p. C16 (1 page):
(Tre Scalini, 230 East 58th Street - ed.)
The owners took their name from the same Tre Scalini Restaurant on the
Piazza Navona in Rome (it means "three little steps," which appear at the  entrance
to make it all authentic)..
The chocolate covered ice cream tartufo, a trademark at the original Roman
restaurant, is just as well made here.
_The  Lighter Ice Creams: Now Less Is More; The Lighter Ice Creams and Ices:
Now Less  Is More _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=6&did=118609411&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106383701&client
Id=65882)
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.:
Jul 21,  1982. p. C1 (2 pages)
Pg. C6:
But at the prices they are charging, they should also offer a truffle  flavor
- tartufo - as the superrich chocolate ice cream is called in  Italy.
(GOOGLE)

_Northwest Airlines Travel to Rome_
(http://www.nwa.com/travel/world/frommers/rome/0064020003.html)
... Best Desserts: It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that  people fly to
Rome just
to sample the tartufo at Tre  Scalini, Piazza Navona 30 (tel. ...
www.nwa.com/travel/world/frommers/rome/0064020003.html - 52k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:79csmiJmgA8J:www.nwa.com/travel/world/frommers
/rome/0064020003.html+tartufo+and+tre+scalini&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.nwa.com/travel/world/frommers/rome/0064020003.html)
_The Kiechle Family / Trips / Rome Christmas_
(http://www.kiechle.com/trips/romexmas/romexmas.htm)
... But the real reason to visit the Piazza Navona is, of course,  the café
and restaurant
Tre Scalini, home of the world's best  Tartufo (ice cream coated with ...
www.kiechle.com/trips/romexmas/romexmas.htm - 33k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:bMqQg0j__roJ:www.kiechle.com/trips/romexmas/romexmas.htm+
tartufo+and+tre+scalini&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.kiechle.com/trip
s/romexmas/romexmas.htm)
_Rome : Restaurants : Dessert | Frommers.com_
(http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/0064022435.html)
... A close second is Tre Scalini, Piazza Navona 30  (tel. 06-687-9148;),
which
is celebrated for its tartufo. Gelato  connoisseurs say ...
www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/0064022435.html - 33k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:mjjX_mNPTDsJ:www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/00
64022435.html+tartufo+and+tre+scalini&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_ (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.f
rommers.com/destinations/rome/0064022435.html)
OT MISC.
LIFE"S LITTLE IRONIES, OR, IT"S DAMN COLD OUT-I had a day off on  Tuesday and
went for a dental cleaning. On my last cleaning, a cavity was  spotted. This
time, I was told that I had cracked a molar way in the back of my  mouth. And
the dentist will have to cap it, but first, I have to see a  periodontist,
because I have to cut my gums, of course.
In the dentist's waiting room was the latest issue of THE NEW YORKER.  And I
told the dentist that my "Big Apple" work was, after a mere 13  years, "The
Talk of The Town." Without my name there, of course. And then  you realize that
if you added up all you've ever earned over 25 years, it still  wouldn't pay
for one tooth.
So you go to work the next day, and the most important story in the  world,
according to the News and the Post, is that baseball player Mike Piazza  is
marrying a woman. And then you arrive at the parking ticket place, and you
realize there's no heat. And the guard tells you you're lucky, you have the room
with no windows, it's nice and comfy. And you should have been here yesterday,
they worked from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., and it was much colder then and
everyone worked wearing coats, he says. And you say why doesn't anyone call  311,
and they all say that nobody listens to us. And it's like this every damn
day of your life.
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON FRIDAY?--Waverly Restaurant on Sixth  Avenue and
Waverly. It's been around Greenwich Village forever, but I'd never  gone
there. You get a lot of food (soup, salad, fish, potato, vegetable) for  $15.95.-
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON THURSDAY?--Four restaurants! I had a  slice of
pizza at the four-week-old DeMarco's, at MacDougal and West Houston. It
supposedly has great pizza and is a spin-off of a successful Brooklyn pizzeria.
It's $2.50 a slice. Some nice cheese, but burnt crust that I skipped. I then had
once slice at Pizza Booth and one slice at Pizza Box, opposite each other on
Bleecker, again skipping the crust. Average stuff, for $2, and $2.25 a slice.
I  then had French onion soup at Dojo on West Fourth Street and Mercer, for
$2.75.  The best bargain of all.
PAST WEEK: Our Place (Chinese) and Shanghai Pavilion, both on Third  Avenue,
between 77th and 82nd Streets.  Excellent places. I'll probably go  to the
West Side for Teng's on West 55th Street (opposite La Bonne Soup) and  Shanghai
Palace on Ninth Avenue later this week.