"History with Lightning" quote; "Big Apple" in Daily Mirror (Jan. 2005)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 23 00:21:50 UTC 2005

"BIG APPLE" IN DAILY MIRROR

The Big Apple whore hoax appeared just this week in London's Daily Mirror. It's enough to make you cry.

Last year, I wrote to "Help Me Howard" of the Channel 11 News at Ten, and to the similar problem-solver on NY1. I said that this "Big Apple Whore Hoax" has to be firmly exposed, its creator publicly humiliated, and that it must finally be taken off the web. No one responded.

Awright! Listen up everybody! Listen up, Daily News and New York Post! Listen up, television news directors! Not only did I solve "the Big Apple" thirteen years ago, and the origin of the "Yankees," and the origin of the baseball "fan," but...I made homosexual love to Mike Piazza! I MADE HOMOSEXUAL LOVE TO MIKE PIAZZA!

(FACTIVA)
Features
QUESTION TIME
68 words
Mirror
38
English
(c) 2005 Mirror Group Ltd

Q WHY is New York called The Big Apple?

D Moncaster, Chesterfield, Derbys

A THE Dutch who first settled there planted a variety of apple they brought with them and the climate was so good it grew enormous fruit.

John Smith, Northwich, Cheshire

Features
Dear Mirror: QUESTION TIME
69 words
Mirror
38
English
(c) 2005 Mirror Group Ltd

Q WHY is New York "the Big Apple"?

D Moncaster, Chesterfield, Derbys

A: JOHN Smith is wrong (Dear Mirror, Jan 11). In 1803 Evelyn de saint-Evremond fled France and opened a high-class bordello in New York. Her women were known as her "irresistible apples".

Sam Maurice, Liverpool

Letters
Dear Mirror: Question Time
187 words
Mirror
38
English
(c) 2005 Mirror Group Ltd

Q WHY is New York called The Big Apple?

D Moncaster Chesterfield, Derbys

A FURTHER to the answers printed (Dear Mirror, January 11 & 12), some guide books suggest the moniker was first used in the 20s by John Fitzgerald, a racing reporter for the Morning Telegraph. Stablehands at a New Orleans racetrack apparently called the New York races "the Big Apple" because they offered the best reward.

"HISTORY WITH LIGHTNING" QUOTE

I'll try again tomorrow, if NYU decides to open.

The quotation was used in Ken Burns' latest documentary just this past week about Jack Johnson.

D. W. GRIFFITH:
AN AMERICAN LIFE
by Richard Schickel
New York : Simon and Schuster
1984

Pg. 267:
CHAPTER TEN
"History with Lightning"

Pg. 270:
We do not know to whom Wilson addressed his famous two-sentence evaluation of the movie, but it passed quickly into general circulation, despite later attempts to disown it: "It is like writing history with Lightning. And my only regret is that it is all so terribly true."(5)

Pg. 619:
5. Cripps, _Slow Fade to Black_, p. 52. This quotation, perhaps the most famous words ever spoken about a film, is accepted by this distinguished scholar, as by many of his predecessors. I accept it, too. Yet no one has been able to fulyl authenticate it. In print, so far as I can determine, its provenenace is based entirely on secondary sources.