cut = drunk

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 24 21:57:13 UTC 2005

Given their scarcity in print, no 18th or 19th C. slang ex. is unworthy.

Am familiar with "callithumpian," but OED dissuaded me from listing it as slang.
JL

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: George Thompson
Subject: cut = drunk

I perhaps ought not to flaunt this one before the membership, since it
isn't close to being an antedating, but in a way it is, since HDAS's
citations were not caught in the wild.

HDAS has cut = drunk from dictionaries: 1650 from Partridge's DSUE;
1698-9 from (I must admit) a genuine 17th C. dictionary, B. E.'s Dict
of the Canting Crew; 1722, from Ben Franklin, but as quoted in Amer
Speech; and 1748, from Farmer & Henley); then 1813-18 & 1821, from U.
S. sources.

*** On enquiry, I found these amateurs were assembled to see a Boxing-
Match, between a Mr. Crosby and a Scotch baker. *** After waiting a
considerable time to see the anticipated spectacle, the Scotch baker
disappointed us. Crosby went away in triumph, half cut. *** Daily
Advertiser, October 5, 1802, p. 3, col. 2

Go ahead and delete it, if you find it unworthy.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.