Smythe's "Beat 'em in alley" (1972); Fluffragette, Graphic Novel; "Moan Tones"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 25 07:59:11 UTC 2005

SMYTHE'S "IF YOU CAN'T BEAT "EM IN THE ALLEY, YOU CAN'T BEAT "EM ON THE  ICE"
What a world. There's no hockey season and absolutely no one misses it.  Yet,
baseball players are the kings of the universe. And I work for just about
nothing and have to beg (unsuccessfully) for heat.
This hockey quotation is quite famous and deserves to be in a book of
quotations. I can probably pin it down to the exact day using the digitized  Toronto
Star's "Pages of the Past." Anyone want to pay the five dollars for one  day
to do that and post it here?
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_'95 Wings avenge early playoff ouster with tournament  upset_
(http://nhl.com/fancentral/fungames/quest/round1_series7_112604.html)
NHL.com -   <NOBR>Dec
... Maple Leafs owner  Conn Smythe coined the expression, "You can't beat
them on the ice  if you can't beat them in the alley," and he instructed GM Frank
Selke  ...
25 March 1972, THE SPORTING NEWS, pg. 8, col. 1:
When Smythe was manager of the Tornto Maple Leafs (late '20s through early
'50s), he set the theme of the tough hockey player.
"If you can't beat 'em in the alley," Smythe would say, "you can't beat 'em
on the ice."
_Red  Smith; Fun, Games and a Little Blood No Dumps in Piedras Negras The
Hammer Is  Nailed _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=102750332&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106638375&clientId=
65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New  York, N.Y.: Feb 19, 1975. p. 58 (1
page)
"If you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the  ice."--Conn
Smythe, a patron saint of ice hockey.
_Conn  Smythe, 85, Former Owner Of Maple Leafs Team in Hockey; 'Call Me Conn'
_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=111310792&SrchMode=1&sid=7&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106638630&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York,  N.Y.: Nov 19, 1980. p. A31 (1
page)
Once, when he thought players were not aggressive enough, he told them, "If
you can't beat them out in the alley, you can't beat them in here on the  ice."
TEN FEET TALL AND BULLETPROOF
TEN FEET TALL AND BULLETPROOF--4,420 Google hits, 287 Google Groups  hits
I guess Travis Tritt coined it with the 1994 song. I don't have FACTIVA
handy.
(GOOGLE)
_TRAVIS TRITT LYRICS - Ten Feet Tall  And Bulletproof_
(http://www.lyricscafe.com/t/tritt_travis/027.htm)
... Ten Feet Tall  And Bulletproof (Travis Tritt) I'ma full grown man That's
plain to see But nowhere near as full grown As I'd like to be But I'll  find
a bar And I ...
www.lyricscafe.com/t/tritt_travis/027.htm - 21k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:8cwTpV4r87QJ:www.lyricscafe.com/t/tritt_travis/027.htm+"te
n+feet+tall+and+bulletproof"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.lyricscafe.com/t/tritt_travis
/027.htm)
<NO
<NOBR>(NEWSPAPERAR

     _Mountain Democrat _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2ojYp1oVUXRSYmFvuBH3lwgYi59hdc/tUg==)  Friday, October 20,
1995 _Placerville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:placerville+ten+feet+tall+and+bulletproof)  _California_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:california+ten+feet+tall+and+bulletproof)

...TAHOE Travis Tritt brings  his "TEN FEET TALL AND BULLETPROOF tour
to.....m. today, Monday, Tuesday AND Thursday AND at noon on  Saturday. Sunday AND..

FLUFFRAGETTE,; GRAPHIC NOVEL;
I checked "coined the" on Google News.
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Since you asked_
(http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2005/0120/local/stories/20local.htm)
Mail Tribune, OR -  <NOBR>Jan 20,
... Columnist Cherri Gilham has  coined the term "fluffragette" for a woman
who presents herself as  hip and contemporary but who seeks to control men
through such ...
_Post-feminist author to speak_
(http://www.courier-journal.com/features/books/2005/01/16/speak.html)
Louisville Courier-Journal, KY -  <NOBR>Jan 16,
Cris Mazza, who with co-editor Jeffrey  DeShell coined the term "chick lit"
in 1995, will read from her  latest novel, "Homeland," at 7 pm Wednesday at ...
_Serpas in the spotlight_
(http://www.tennessean.com/government/archives/05/01/63918063.shtml?Element_ID=63918063)
The Tennessean, TN -  <NOBR>Jan 10,
... He coined the  phrase ''boo-boo lip'' — as in, ''We aren't going to tell
you what we can't do;  you won't see any boo-boo lip from us.''. ...
_Will Eisner, a Pioneer of Comic Books, Is Dead at  87_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/05/books/05eisner.html)
New York Times -   <NOBR>Ja
... NC Christopher  Couch, one of the authors of "The Will Eisner Companion"
(DC Comics, 2004),  noted that "Eisner independently coined the term graphic
novel in  ...
_Medicare Looms As Budget, Logistical Issue for  States_
(http://www.seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Medicare/4-12-27MedicareStates.htm)
SeniorJournal.com, TX -  <NOBR>Dec 27,
... Instead, states will get hit with  what’s been coined the “clawback”
provision, which will require  states to finance a large share of the federal
drug ...
_Early Detection, Alerting Medical Authorities Can Combat Death Due  ..._
(http://press.arrivenet.com/edu/article.php/546305.html)
ArriveNet (press  release), CO -  <NOBR>Dec 2
... "In 1999, a doctor wrote an editorial for a medical journal  in which he
coined the terms, "Merry Christmas coronary" and the  "Happy New Year heart
attack ...
_'Rejuveniles' treasure childhood thrills_
(http://www.fox11az.com/news/other/stories/KMSB-20041222-dnbp-rejuvenile.35fffb08.html)
KMSB, AZ -  <NOBR>Dec 22,
... Los Angeles-based writer  Christopher Noxon says he was researching a
book on the subject when he  coined the term "rejuveniles." Mr. Noxon, 36, met
his wife  ...
MOAN TONES
In my job, you tell people to turn of all cell phones, and before  you can
finish that sentence, a cell phone goes off. A porn star cell phone moan  tone.
Just what the world needed.

_http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000267028272/#comments_
(http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000267028272/#comments)

Everyone needs a moantone
Posted Jan 20, 2005, 11:53 AM ET by Joshua  Fruhlinger
We didn’t say it.  Jenna Jameson did.  The sultry sex machine of  the adult
film biz is teaming up with Wicked Wireless to provide Latin American  cell
phone users with things like boobalicious wallpapers and ringtones that  moan (”
moantones,” as they call them).  Why this hasn’t happened before and  why it
is happening in Latin America we’re not sure.  In Jenna’s words,  which are
priceless, “We’ll provide [moantones] in the universal language of  sexy sighs
recognized around the world but with our own personal touch. The  technology
is way beyond most of us, but the bottom line is that you’ll able to  hear the
other Jenna’s Web Girls moan and me when your phone starts to ring.  We’ll
also provide audio content in Spanish plus photos and text features
Posted Jan 20, 2005, 4:15 PM ET by _Streeter D_ (http://www.moantones.com/)
Moantones are not really new and neither is Jenna Jameson. If you would like
some real news about "moantones" there is an article by the two Canadian lads
 who invented the term in 2002 and who started the website in 2003. The
interview  is at _http://www.totalmanipulation.com/moan_tones.html_
(http://www.totalmanipulation.com/moan_tones.html)
I  have moantones on my phone and only use them sometimes on the weekend as
ringers. Otherwise I download truetones or something besides the bibbity bip
on  my V220. I have to agree with the first comment though...this is not really
news  as much as Wicked trying to promote themselves.
Peace Out
Streeter  D