"Glass bottle" (vb)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 26 02:01:43 UTC 2005

In a message dated  Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:29:36 -0800,   John McChesney-Young
<panis at PACBELL.NET> quoted

>  The verb doesn't appear here, though. On the other hand, another
>  (British-only?) term I'd not seen before does, apparently unusual
>  enough to warrant quotes:
>
>  Delegates from the drinks industry, the police, public health, the
>  drug and alcohol advisory sector and local authorities heard how
>  happy hours, alcopops, growing affluence and the British obsession
>  with "necking it" as the night goes on all play a part.
>
>  (end quotes)
>
>  Another British article defines it by context:
>
>  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/main.jhtml?xml=/education/2004/02/14/
> paul14.xml&sSheet=/education/2004/02/14/ixteright.html
>
>  Sipping it, not necking it
>  (Filed: 14/02/2004)
>
>  Students are as keen as ever on drinking - but more want quality, not
>  quantity, says Simon Brooke.

"Necking" certainly seems to mean "drinking from [the neck of] a bottle
instead of from a glass", i.e. "chug-a-lugging".

I have a 1963 citation for "drinking from the neck" if anyone be interested.

Did "happy hour" originate in the US and get exported to Britain, or vice
versa, or what?  And what pray tell is an "alcopop"? (and how long will it take
Barry "Alco" Popik to find an antedating?)

              - James A. Landau