"Glass bottle" (vb)

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 26 07:11:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:19:40 -0500, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
> If "glass bottle" [verb] is in use one might expect to find more-or-less
> equivalent "bottle" [verb] either as the basic version or by abbreviation.
>
> Google for <<"bottled him">> shows a number of instances where "bottle"
> appears to mean "strike with a bottle", i.e., "use a bottle as a club or
> blunt weapon" (not "use a broken bottle as a cutting weapon"). There are
> also some examples where "bottle" [v.t.] would seem to mean "throw bottles at".
>
> I would suppose that "glass-bottle" [v.t.] must at least sometimes have the
> same meaning. Note that almost all bottles which are readily available and
> suitable for use as weapons are glass bottles.
>
> The expression seems to be more popular in the UK, maybe.

<http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/ZBGD.HTM>
Probert gives (among other slang bottle defns)
"Bottle is slang for to injure by thrusting a broken bottle into a person."

<http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/>
peevish.co.uk gives (among other slang bottle defns)
"Verb. To smash a bottle into a person's face, very often a beer
bottle after a drinking spree."

There may be other definitions at sites out there. Found these with
<http://www.google.com/search?q=british+slang+bottle>