Truly, truly awful

Orion Montoya gorion at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 26 16:42:25 UTC 2005

I heard your wife's pronunciation once, in the mid-late nineties, on a
high-school girl from Phoenix.  I assumed it was a mis-parsing of the
words in the compound, like the couple people I've met who pronounce
"albeit" with two syllables to rhyme with German "arbeit" (i.e.
/Al'baIt/).

But the idea that godawful might be euphemistically "mispronounced" is
interesting; reminds me of the OED citation from Farquhar that says,
of "zounds": "Zoons is only us'd by the disbanded Officers and
Bullies: but Zauns is the Beaux pronuncation [sic]" -- that the
invocation of god's wounds is less coarse if they can't really make
out that you're saying "wounds".