"See You Later"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 27 14:44:01 UTC 2005

"The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we *can* imagine."
                                                               --Some Guy. Before Now. Fred?

JL

Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: Re: "See You Later"

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:27:49AM -0800, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Jon, Why the hell not? We are the custodians of language.
>
> P.S.: If anybody besides Jon, Jesse, Grant, & Erin ever used this term, let us know.

Here's a completely unexplained and natural use from British
socialite and convicted cokehead Taki Theodoracopulos, in a
British publication no less:

1997 'Taki' in _Spectator_ 23 Aug. 46 All I did was lift the
Ameche. The next thing was instant immortality.

And here's one from Nick Tosches, again unexplained:

2002 N. Tosches _In Hand of Dante_ 44, I got no complaints,
really. Except maybe that quick draw on the Ameche that you're
developin' there.

I have other uses from the 2000s, but they're all self-referential.
Still, I think we can all get away with using it. We're professionals;
no one would dare question us.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED