The Sanas Jazz, Jazz and Teas

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Jan 28 06:25:13 UTC 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: The Sanas Jazz, Jazz and Teas
> --------
>
> Jesse, I assume you're checking your Irish dictionary and your team of
> experts if indicated.
> Cassidy's suggestion is not obviously absurd at this point.
>
> If it is, then shame on me.
>
> JL

"Cassidy's suggestion is not obviously absurd at this point."

I'm standing with you foursquare on this one. I've always felt that the
decades-long attempt to connect the colored American with the devil's
music is totally misplaced. Clearly, Irish jigs, reels, and such like
are the true source of such cacophony. A more recent example is the
recording of the song "Colours" by the Irish singer Donovan. Notice the
oddly-rhythmic drumming that is heard as part of the background music,
not to mention the singer's own particular method of playing the
guitar. It's a revelation! And then there's the fact that, for an
Irish-American former colleague of mine, one David Beach ("Beach"
doesn't strike me as being an Irish name, but, since I found out that
the "obviously" Teutonic name, "Hindelang," is of Irish provenance,
I've learned to reserve judgment on such points), the word "jazz" was a
living, active part of his normal vocabulary for that for which others
would substitute "fuck."

-Wilson Gray