hooey

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 28 14:33:31 UTC 2005

Thanks, Wilson.  [xui] it is, despite the oddly Chinese look.

Never missing a chance to make history leap to life, I offer the following early ex. of "swearing like a trooper":

"I then chanced to tread upon the Foot of a Female Quaker, to all outward Appearance,  but was surprised to hear her cry out D-------n you, you Son of a B----------- upon which I immediately rebuked her, when all of a sudden resuming her character, Verily, says she, I was to blame; but thou hast bruised me sorely. A few moments after this Adventure, I had like to been knocked down by a Shepherdess for having run my Elbow a little inadvertently into one of her sides. She swore like a Trooper and threatned [sic] me with a very masculine Voice.

                                            ---------------"Lucifer," "To Nestor Ironsides, Esq.," in The Guardian No. 454 (2: 262) (London, 1714).

This was at a high-toned masquerade ball. It beats OED by 25 years. "Trooper" itself seems not to be findable before 1640.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: hooey

When I was a voice-intercept operator at Tempelhof AFB in the former
West Berlin, we routinely used the word "dick" to mean "nothing," as in
"I don't hear dick." By a coincidence that I still find amazing, the
Russians whose voice communication we intercepted likewise used the
phrase,heard to say, "Ya ne huya ne slyshu." Or, as we say in English,
"I don't hear dick." Word for word, it's "I negation dick negation
hear." (Multiple negation is obligatory in Russian and "huya" is the
genitive singular of "huy," pronounced approx. "hooey.") The Russian
military used "huy" relatively rarely and only in the one phrase
respecting the clarity of a radio connection, which was also true of us
American soldiers. The Russian soldiers much more commonly used "Yob
tvoyu mat'," which ambiguously means "(I) fucked thy mother!" and "Fuck
thy mother!" as an exclamation in situations in which Americans used
"Motherfucker!" or "Son of a bitch!" In other words, as is so often the
case, the military language differs from the civilian language. "Curse
like a trooper/a sailor" has a factual basis.

The transliteration of the Slavic sound [x] is pretty much a matter of
taste. "Khooy" tends to give the untutored masses the impression that
the Slavic word is pronounced [kui], when it sounds a lot more like
"hooey," though not quite exactly like it. However, the transliteration
of [x] as "h" does a better job of clarifying Jonathan's
correspondent's point.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that what the Russians were
using for communication was then called "using radio-relayed telephony"
and is now known as "using a cell phone." So, it's not always assault
rifles and such that trickle down from the military for civilian use.

-Wilson Gray