The Sanas Jazz, Jazz and Teas

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 29 00:14:45 UTC 2005

The sexual sense of "jazz," v., further complicates etymological investigation.  There is widespread testimony from the '20s and later that this was known before the word for the music, yet - perhaps for obvious reasons - pre-WWI cites are unavailable.

If "jazz" = "screw" antedates  "jazz" = "music," the problem is very different than if the reverse obtains.

Raven McDavid, Jr., recalled once that when his father first heard that a "jazz" band was coming to Charleston, he couldn't believe his ears. And his reaction allegedly had nothing to do with music.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: The Sanas Jazz, Jazz and Teas

On Jan 27, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: The Sanas Jazz, Jazz and Teas
> --------
>
> Jesse, I assume you're checking your Irish dictionary and your team of
> experts if indicated.
> Cassidy's suggestion is not obviously absurd at this point.
>
> If it is, then shame on me.
>
> JL

"Cassidy's suggestion is not obviously absurd at this point."

I'm standing with you foursquare on this one. I've always felt that the
decades-long attempt to connect the colored American with the devil's
music is totally misplaced. Clearly, Irish jigs, reels, and such like
are the true source of such cacophony. A more recent example is the
recording of the song "Colours" by the Irish singer Donovan. Notice the
oddly-rhythmic drumming that is heard as part of the background music,
not to mention the singer's own particular method of playing the
guitar. It's a revelation! And then there's the fact that, for an
Irish-American former colleague of mine, one David Beach ("Beach"
doesn't strike me as being an Irish name, but, since I found out that
the "obviously" Teutonic name, "Hindelang," is of Irish provenance,
I've learned to reserve judgment on such points), the word "jazz" was a
living, active part of his normal vocabulary for that for which others
would substitute "fuck."

-Wilson Gray