Pay-to-Sway; You have to be in it to win it; Proseccheria

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 29 03:20:14 UTC 2005

PAY-TO-SWAY
No, not that kind of sway! Errol Louis (the former New York Sun  columnist
who the New York Times should have hired) has a great column  (again) in today's
New York Daily News, 28 January 2005, pg. 51, cols. 1-3, "On  Ethics" by
Errol Louis, "Wake up, Maggie: Another conservative columnist is  clueless in
pay-to-sway scandal."
It's about conservative media members Armstrong Williams and Maggie
Gallagher being paid by the Bush White House. Saturday Night Live recently did a  fake
"Hardball" with Chris Matthews parody, with an actor playing  Armstrong
Williams as a guest. "Armstrong Williams, any final comments?"  Matthews asked.
"Yes. One phone call can save you a bundle on car insurance,"  Williams replied.
(GOOGLE NEWS_
_Another conservative columnist is clueless in  pay-to-sway scandal_
(http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/275530p-235931c.html)
New York Daily News, NY -  <NOBR>17 hour
... running their own racket. The Bush  administration's pay-to-sway scandal
continues to spread  like an oil slick. The latest disclosure ...
YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT
>From the New York Sun, 28 January 2005, "Bob Brown, 79, Mets Radio Host, TV
Lottery Presenter," pg. 24, col. 3:
"He was the one who came up with the phrase 'You have to be in it to win
it," Ms. Mayer (Joanne Mayer, his daughter--ed.) said in a telephone interview
with the Associated Press. A (Col. 4--ed.) New York lottery spokeswoman in
Albany, N. Y., could not confirm that claim.
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Radio host Brown remembered_
(http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050127&content_id=935325&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)
MLB.com -  <NOBR>Jan 2
... Brown also hosted the weekly New York State televised lottery  drawing
and is credited with coining the phrase "You have to be in  it to win it.". ...
PROSECCHERIA (WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?)
(GOOGLE)
_New York's  Premier Alternative Newspaper. Arts, Music, Food ..._
(http://www.nypress.com/16/16/food/food.cfm)
... Proseccheria. ... Window boxes of tulips line  the front of Pasticcio
restaurant,
and a sign titles its adjacent barroom as  Proseccheria. ...
www.nypress.com/16/16/food/food.cfm - 39k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:QzaMKAD8m78J:www.nypress.com/16/16/food/food.cfm+proseccheria&hl=
en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.nypress.com/16/16/food/food.cfm)
"Proseccheria" is not in the OED. Revised OED, perhaps? I ate tonight at
Pasticchio, 447 Third Avenue, between East 30th amd East 31st streets.   It's OK
Italian.
Other places visited this past week included the Plaza Diner at Second
Avenue and East 56th Street (good food and prices) and the Westway Diner on  Ninth
Avenue and West 44th Street. I had Westway's French Onion Soup ($3.25),  and
it was terrific, perhaps the best French Onion Soup in New York that's not
from La Bonne Soupe.
I asked the owner how come New York Metro ran a piece on French Onion Soup
recently, but his place wasn't even listed. He told me that you have to pay to
get mentioned in those newspapers. You know, take out ads.
I guess I'm figuring out how this news business works. OK, Chicago Tribune
reader representative! I want to get credit for my work when it appears for
free  in your newspaper, eight years after it was rejected. How much will that
cost me?