Irish Gaelic

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 29 12:57:34 UTC 2005

Right on, Wilson.  I just feel that some who should know better tend to throw the baby out with the bath water.  There does seem to be a lot of bath water, however.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Irish Gaelic

Well argued, Jonathan, and I agree with you. I'm assuming that Prof.
Cassidy is truly fluent in at least literary Irish Gaelic and one
dialect. But I can only assume that. If he would say something like,
the word "teas" is pronounced [however] and means "whatever" in
literary Irish Gaelic (Society for the Resuscitation of Irish,
Dictionary1999, p.1033). However, in dialect D, spoken in area A, from
which a large portion of the Irish-American population originated, this
string has the pronunciation "chazz" or even "jazz" and has the
meaning, "a type of syncopated music" (O'Whoever, Irish Folksong, 1901,
p.137). Or, failing that, something like, when I was a kid in Brooklyn,
my grandparents used to sing a particular song. When I asked about it,
they said whatever.

I could go for that. But not Irish seol, pronounced shell and pisce,
vocative (a) phisce, pronounced fish: English shellfish. I have to ask,
are both words from the same dialect? And what dialect of Irish is
that, so that we can know that what you say are the pronunciation and
the meaning are correct? Is your spelling the traditional one or the
modern one? What is the approximate date? etc. etc.

Somewhere in my junkyardish office cum library, I have a pamphlet that
shows that the use of spoken Irish in what is now the United States was
not unknown in the 18th century. And there's the Irish signatory of the
Declaration, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, whose brother, John, a
Jesuit, was the first American Catholic bishop. Every word of Cassidy's
etymologies could be correct, but he doesn't provide enough info for
people not well-trained in Irish to be able to tell.

-Wilson