"I should marry a millionaire" (1913); Republican/Horse Thief & Will Rogers (1925)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 30 03:36:59 UTC 2005

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Syracuse Herald  Monday, June 16, 1913 Syracuse/, New York/
...SHOULD I SHOULD cAre. I SHOULD MARRY A mIllIonAIre. If he SHOULD dIe. 1 SHOULD.....newspAper. nevcr'Slxey. oIl mutlrrA SHOULD bA AddrxMwII to to lu emplojn flf..
Pg. 8, col. 5:
I should worry,
I should care.
I should marry a millionaire.
If he should die,
I should cry;
I should marry another guy.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)("I should marry a millionaire")
1. OUT OF THE MOUTHS --
JAMES NEILD. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 19, 1926. p. XX12 (1 page)

2. B.A. Botkin, Folklore Expert, Is Dead
By MURRAY ILLSON. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 31, 1975. p. 30 (1 page):
Dr. Botkin's investigators found that one of the most popular and widespread children's chants was:

I should worry, I should care,
I should marry a millionaire.
He should die, I should cry.
I should marry another guy.

Another was:

Take a local,
Take an express,
Don't get off
Till you reach success.

(...)
One of its characteristic anecdotes was the following:

"Why," asked the Northerner, "are you a Democrat?"

"Well," drawled the Southerner, "my father was a Democrat, my grandfather was a Democrat, and my great-grandfather was a Democrat, so of course I'm a Democrat."

"Ah," said the Northerner, "suppose your father had been a horse thief, what would you have been then?"

"Oh, I guess I'd a been a Republican."

--Buffalo Commercial.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("horse thief")
The Worst Story I Have Heard Today
By Will Rogers. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: May 26, 1925. p. 6 (1 page):
He (Gov. Al Smith--ed.) said one time President Roosevelt was making a political speech in Maine; he asked if there was a Democrat in the audience. An old, long-whiskered man arose in the back of the room and said: "I am a Democrat. My father was a Democrat, and my grandfather was a Democrat." Roosevelt then said: "Then if your father had been a horse theif and your grandfather had been a hose thief, you would be a horse thief?" "No," he said. "I would be a Republican."

Now, I claim that a story to be good must be true or based on truth. That story Al told is not true. In the first place, Roosevelt wouldn't be speaking in Maine. No politican ever wasted speeches in a State he already controlled. And in the second place, all Republicans are not horse thieves. At the biggest estimate not over 90 per cent are horse thieves. Every once in a while you meet a pretty nice one.

Coming to Terms With Politics; Book World SAFIRE'S POLITICAL DICTIONARY. By William Safire (Random House, 845 pp. $15.95)
Reviewed by Norman J. Ornstein. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Nov 20, 1978. p. D13 (1 page)