"Mazda bulbs"

Erik Hoover grinchy at GRINCHY.COM
Sun Jan 30 17:30:23 UTC 2005

 From what I see on the Internet, it is something of a
marketo-mytho-etymology from the get-go.  So 'Ahura Mazda' does not
mean god of light until General Electric gets involved?  I can't vouch
for it.  I only know what I read in the funny papers.

see:

Selection below from http://www3.sympatico.ca/zoroastrian/topic.htm:

  Zarathushtra was the first to introduce a novel way of thinking and a
completely new philosophy of life. He taught that there is only ONE God
whom he called Ahura Mazda. This term consists of two Avestan (a
language used during the time of Zarathushtra) words, Ahura and Mazda.
The first word Ahura was already used by the pre-Zoroastrians for their
God and Zarathushtra introduced the concept of God as the creator who
infused life into the physical world. This is probably why many
scholars have derived the word Ahura from the root Ahu meaning life
giving force and translate it to mean Lord. The new word, Mazda, that
Zarathutra introduced means super-intellect or supreme wisdom. Hence
the term Ahura Mazda means Lord of Wisdom. (GE had named their light
bulb Mazda to honor the God of Light, probably in the misconception
that Mazda means light.