Fuzzy Wuzzy (1942); Ten Little Indians (1880); Don't Say Ain't

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 30 19:41:19 UTC 2005

Yes, so reviled is "ain't."

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Fuzzy Wuzzy (1942); Ten Little Indians (1880); Don't Say Ain't

FUZZY WUZZY:
_Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ONKPmHWqWNiKID/6NLMW2oe7tDcJpnAoDSNq4Zbmrbl9tCUTeh+JM0IF+CsZYmrz)
Friday, July 31, 1942 _Wisconsin Rapids,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:wisconsin_rapids+fuzzy+wuzzy+and+bear+AND) _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+fuzzy+wuzzy+
and+bear+AND)
...Wis. FUZZY WUZZY was a BEAR; FUZZY WUZZY had no hair; FUZZY WUZZY
wasn't.....very FUZZY was 'e? Anna Carol Kingdon Dear..
{g. 8, col. 1:

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear;
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair;
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy,
was 'e?--Anna Carol Kingdon.
TEN LITTLE INDIANS:
_RECENT FICTION._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=109775174&SrchMode=1&sid=19&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1107070952&clien
tId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 17, 1880. p. 4 (1
page)
Mr. Russell's story is something like the refrain of the "Ten Little
Indians," only the savages are of a seafaring character.
DON'T SAY AIN'T
I like this one from MISS MARY MAC, pg. 38, but I couldn't find it on the
databases.
Don't say ain't, your mother will faint,
And your father will fall in a bucket of paint.
Your sister will cry, your brother will die,
And you dog will call the FBI.
(My dog will call the FBI??--ed.)