Teen Lingo site

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 31 23:59:51 UTC 2005

The only way I could tell was that I saw the phrase in print back in '69 and it was explained that "wolf" was either the "correct" spelling or that "wolf" varied freely with "woof." Can't remember.  As the kind of guy for whom these spelling unambiguously denote distinct words, it didn't occur to me right away that they were almost necessarily the same for many speakers. I was thinking not cockerpoo but mastiff.  (To me, cockerpoos arf; things bigger than I am woof. These, along with "yip," are hyponyms of "bark.") (Could have said "are subsumed in," but I get even fewer opportunities to say "hyponym.")

So the big question is where to put the cross reference.  I guess it should be at "woof" and all cites at "wolf" - even though most of the published ones will be spelled "woof."  In this racket, you can't win and you can't even break even!

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Teen Lingo site

Ah, I was really asking for info, not being defensive, Jon. How *would*
a person tell? I've never seen any spelling in print except "woof" in
this particular context, But, I heard this spoken years before I ever
saw it in print. Even if "wolf" and "woof" had exactly the same
pronunciation, I would still have to go with "wolf" and not "woof,"
because a "wolf-ticket" is a threat to mount a physical attack against
someone. The "woofing" of a little cockerpoo would render the term
ridiculous. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Not every threat
is made seriously. But even a joking threat has to sound threatening.

At my age, I doubt that any young pepper-chest would take me seriously,
if I threatened to kick his ass till my knee-joint caught on fire or if
I threatened to reach down his throat and tear his asshole out. But if
I threatened to step on his toes the next time that I saw him
barefooted, I would sound brain-damaged and beyond ridiculous.

-Wilson