antedatings: "tough luck," "oohs and ahs"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 3 04:28:19 UTC 2005

Jon, in the BE of the '50's, "tough," like "hard" and "bad," was
complimentary. There was a song that began, "She's so tough! That's
why I love her." "Tough luck" was usually rendered as "Tough titty!
(You just have to suck it!), "Tough shit!" or some other, such as "Sad
on you! [saed 'ony@]" or even the sE "Too bad (for you)!"

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray