the "squared circle"

Mon Jul 4 16:01:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 06:53:01 -0700, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>OED has no entry for this sportswriting cliche' referring to a prizering
>or wrestling ring :
>
>1998 _Mad_ (Jan. 1999) 24   Dennis Rodman...stepped into the squared
>circle for a tag team match against...Katl Malone.
>
>1934 Maurice H. Weseen _Dict. of Amer. Slang_ 242  _Squared circle_--The
>boxing ring.

-----
1882 _Chicago Tribune_ 8 Feb. 1/5 Barney Aaron, however, expressed his
opinion in this wise, and it was especially valuable as coming from one of
the shrewdest and the most skillful veterans of the squared circle:
"Sullivan is the hardest hitter I ever saw, and has an arm on him like the
trunk of a tree."
-----

There are several other cites from 1882 in the _National Police Gazette_
(via APS).

--Ben Zimmer