"pickle-puss"

Tue Jul 5 02:05:15 UTC 2005

I see I've been beaten to the punch, so I'll just add another early form:

-----
1936 _Washington Post_ 12 Mar. 16/8 Pickle-Pussed Jock [sc. boxer Jock
McAvoy] will be a slight favorite in the betting.
-----

The jocular name in the Mar. '35 _Post_ also appears in a boxing article,
though not by the same writer ('35 is Bill McCormick, '36 is Jack Miley).

--Ben Zimmer