Subject: re: Getting Snickered

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jul 5 15:15:09 UTC 2005

L,

This is not my sense of "snookered" (principally "cheated" or "done
in by deceit," synonymous with "sneetered"). Partridge has it from
1914, presumably from "snooks," an imaginary game devised by a
practical joker, cited by Farmer and Henley from around 1800.
Apparently unrelated to "cock a snook," the derisive gesture of
thumbing the nose; this sense of "snook" is not attested until the
end of the 19th C. I can't find my synonymous "sneeter" since neither
DARE nor HDAS go that far.

In short, I'm with the chocolate=feces interpretation of the Gitmo term.

dInIs

>>Jerry E Kane <Jerryekane at AOL.COM> wrote:
>>  >>>
>>  I just heard the expression on the Fox news channel.  When a prisoner at
>>Gitmo throws feces on a guard it is called "getting snickered".
>>  <<<
>>
>>Might the term come from the chocolate candy bar called Snickers(tm)?
>>
>Are we assuming (I guess I am) that this is indeed an eggcorn in
>which "get snookered" is reanalyzed by influence of the name of the
>candy bar?

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English