zombic

Wed Jul 6 16:06:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:27:15 -0500, Mullins, Bill
<Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

>zomboid
>Decadence Meets Death On an 1800's Plantation; [Review]
>Dave Kehr <javascript:void(0);> . New York Times. (Late Edition (East
>Coast)). New York, N.Y.: Oct 24, 2001. pg. E.1
>
>"His film consists of strongly framed long shots in which the characters
>speak largely in mumbling monotones while remaining motionless, a style
>thatecalls at once the deliberately zomboid acting of Edgar G. Ulmer's
>grade-Z classics of the 1940's (''Detour,'' ''Strange Illusion'') and
>the Brechtian alienation techniques of experimental European filmmakers
>like Jean-Marie Straub and Danielle Huillet."

Under "zombie", OED has:

-----
1975 Sunday Times (Colour Suppl.) 20 July 11/3 ‘I'm David Bowie,’ he
intones with a zomboid air.
1979 Guardian 18 Oct. 11/6 Some of the most zomboid heroines in recent
fiction.
-----

More from the '70s:

-----
1974 N. KENT _The Dark Stuff_ (2002) 174 As if on cue, Reed returns to his
zomboid drone and the pauses between commentary become even more elongated
and strained.
http://print.google.com/print?id=qlBcEdd9LM0C&q=zomboid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0306811820?v=search-inside&keywords=zomboid
-----
1975 _Washington Post_ 28 Sep. G4/1 Fifties rock makes a granitic showing
in New York. Glitter grows zomboid. Elvis nods, the Beach Boys tour. God
knows what will come next out of California.
-----
1976 _D.O.A. Comics #1_ in S. SENNITT _Ghastly Terror!_ (1999) 189 Strike
deep, O merciful zomboid shaft.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1900486075?v=search-inside&keywords=zomboid
-----

Note that Google Print <http://print.google.com/> is beginning to rival
the scope of Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" feature. (Plus, unlike
Amazon, you don't have to give your credit card information.) But who
knows when Google's much-anticipated Library Project will see the light of
day...

--Ben Zimmer