-nym for Words the Same in Sing. and Pl.?

Martinez-Gibson, Elizabeth A. MartinezE at COFC.EDU
Thu Jul 7 21:55:42 UTC 2005

plurale tantum is what we use in Spanish.

Liz Martinez

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Baker, John
Sent: Thu 7/7/2005 5:23 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: -nym for Words the Same in Sing. and Pl.?

        There's no -nym, but what about plurale tantum?  According to
that surprisingly resourceful and frequently denounced source,
Wikipedia, "A plurale tantum (plural pluralia tantum) is a noun that
appears only in the plural and does not have a singular. Many languages
have pluralia tantum, for example the English word "scissors" is such."

        How disappointing to realize that "plurale tantum" is not itself
a plurale tantum.

John Baker