Cackalacka, Cackalacky, and variants [long]

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jul 8 17:04:56 UTC 2005

German presents a word that sounds almost the same as Cackalacka, viz. "Kakerlake" (= cockroach).  Moreover, to German ears the "Cacka-" part of "Cackalacka" sounds almost identical to the German word "Kacke"
(excrement; not quite as offensive a term as Scheiße).

   So what's going on?  My guess is that an American who spent some time in Germany, say a serviceman, picked up the terms Kakerlake and Kacke and then applied them to North/South Carolina, since "Carolina" starts with the same "Ca-" sound. Whoever did this must have had some unpleasant thoughts about those two fine states.  Carolinians, almost universally unaware of the German word "Kakerlake," then evidently accepted the term as a poetically folksy variant of "Carolina" and even "folksified" it further to "Cackerlacky."  The spelling of course was also altered.

     Some people get their jollies by slipping something off-color or derogatory by an unsupecting public.  It's possible that Cackerlacka for "Carolina" is one more example of this.

Gerald Cohen

        Original message, July 6, 2005, from: Bonnie Taylor-Blake