Wine names

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 8 21:42:16 UTC 2005

Actually, I agree a lot with William Safire politically! So there you have it!
Barry Popik

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:13:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Wine names

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> go straight to November...My father was a Republican and it made a lot
> of sense in upstate New York. If NYC doesn't elect any of the

Yeah, my father was a registered Republican and had a similar explanation.
But let's look at the striking meaning of this party affiliation:  Those
of us who have followed the saga of Barry Popik for years on this list
serv, observing Barry day after day as the champion of truth and as the
oppressed victim of countless injustices, now have to face the fact that
Barry is an active participant in the Republican Party, a party that
assuredly is not the champion of either truth or the oppressed.  Is the
truth about weapons of mass destruction less important than the truth
about the etymology of the term "Big Apple"?

Sorry to introduce such blatantly political commentary into ADS-L, but in
my mind the lack of truth-telling in politics and the lack of
truth-telling about etymology are but two sides of the same coin of a
degraded culture.

Fred Shapiro