Leslie Savan on Slam Dunk? Why?; Environmentalist/Conservationist

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 10 14:38:20 UTC 2005

Quoth Barry:

>ENVIRONMENTALIST/CONSERVATIONIST
>The Sierra Club endorses candidates, most all of them Democrats. I was sent
>a survey of about forty incredibly complicated questions. Some of them don't
>even apply for the position I'm running for. Others are a bit silly. (Does my
>campaign literature use soy-based ink?)
>I'd like to research the word "environmentalist"--an old NYC  Republican
>named Teddy Roosevelt was one, or was that "conservationist"?--but I
>can't find
>anything from Teddy's time in office.
>(OED)
>
>environmentalist, n. (and a.)
>A. n. One who believes in or promotes the  principles or precepts of
>environmentalism; also, one who is concerned with the  preservation
>of the environment
>(from pollution,  etc.).

--these being two quite different senses, given the earlier
prevailing sense (with cites back to 1923)  of "environmentalism" as
'A theory of the primary influence of environment on the development
of a person or group', i.e. someone on the nurture rather than nature
side of the debate, with the newer sense of  'Concern with the
preservation of the environment, esp. from the effects of pollution;
the politics or policies associated with this' added only in the 1993
update, with the first cite from 1973.  All the below cites for
'environmentalist' except for the last one (or possibly two) relate
to the 'nurturist' sense, not the 'conservationist' one.

Larry