siditty etymology? BE for feeling superior(1967)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jul 11 02:15:08 UTC 2005

Unfortunately, though I'm quite familiar with this term, I can't hazard
even a WAG as to its origin or even as to its "correct" spelling. It's
what I call a "traditional" term: a term that was in use when my
parents were teens. I heard it in the house before I heard it on the
street. For what little it's worth, I do agree that the pronunciation
indicated by Ms. Angelou's spelling, i.e. that the vowel of the first
syllable is [I] and not [i]. [E], or schwa, is the "correct" one.

-Wilson

BTW, what you mean, "given his *age* and experience"? Don't be trying
to jone with me, man, because, though I may laugh and joke, I do not
play! Don't make me have to put a hurting on your ass! If you looking
for some age, you'd best check out your mama! ;-) Etc. Etc.

To paraphrase the late, great Jimmy Durante, we got a million of 'em.

-WG