dollar-a-year men

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Jul 11 15:28:18 UTC 2005

Funny you should mention it.  A few weeks ago I encountered the
word while reading Dos Passos' _1919_ and had no idea what it
meant.  It was obvious that one dollar wasn't much "jack" in 1919,
though, and that the men referred to were educated and well-off, so
eventually I sort of figured out that it meant an upper-class WWI
volunteer.  It came across in context as a lower-class slang (of
which there's a fair amount in the book).

If I'd seen the word out of context, though, it would have made no
sense at all!

Joanne