siditty etymology? BE for feeling superior(1967)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jul 11 18:30:26 UTC 2005

Well, IMO, that's not totally implausible. For example, my mother
pronounces "towards" as [twadz]. I may be wrong, but [twadz] is a way
less-than-obvious alternate pronunciation of [tordz].

AFAIK, the stress in "siddity" - or however one wants to spell it - is
always on the middle syllable.

Slight;y OT: I saw an ad in which "diddley" is used as a synonym of
"nothing." FWIW, I've always known this word as "doodley," shortened
from "doodley-squat." Way back in the day, there was a song that had
the following call-and-response:

C: My gal is red-hot!
R: Yo' gal ain't doodley-squat!

This song was in origin R&B, but the version that's usually played on
oldies shows is the rock-a-billy cover. Uh, since I'm not trying to go
anywhere with this, I'll just stop.

-Wilson Gray