Carny Lingo

Wells Darla L dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Tue Jul 12 17:00:26 UTC 2005

Those aren't too bad. They leave out a few things and they overemphasize some
of the older, more obscure material, but on the whole, they are fairly
accurate. One thing they don't emphasize much is the form of pig latin they
speak and also the fact that kizzarney has been considered by most of its
practictioners for at least 20 years that I know of to be a dying language.
Speaking as one who has travelled with several of the shows on Wonder Ella's
list, a person can walk down the midway and people today working the joints
and even some of the rides have no idea what you are saying half the time.
Only the old-timers really remember and use the language and the carnival
business is much like pro football--there aren't that many old timers left--it
is very much a business for the young and strong. When the health breaks down,
it is time to find an easier way of life (like scholarship, for example).
Darla Wells

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:32:40 -0400, Benjamin Zimmer wrote